Do you have stained or discolored teeth? Have you noticed yellow or brown tooth stains? Dr. John Verville offers professional teeth whitening to improve patient smiles in Fleming Island, FL. Unlike store-bought whitening toothpaste, gels, and strip, professional whitening treatment can provide real cosmetic results. Zoom! teeth whitening can help patients can brighten their smiles by four shades. Discover more about the causes of tooth staining and how Zoom! can brighten your smile at Dr. John D. Verville Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry.
Why Do I Have Discolored Teeth?
There are several common reasons why you could have stained or discolored teeth!
- Foods and beverages: Coffee, tea, soda, wine, berries, and tomato sauces contain chromogens or pigments that stain the tooth enamel. Chromogens are essentially dyes that make teeth appear discolored.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Not visiting the dentist on a regular basis and not brushing or flossing enough can increase the likelihood of developing tooth stains.
- Tobacco use: If you smoke cigarettes, vape, or use other tobacco products, chances are you’ve noticed yellowing. Tobacco and nicotine easily discolor and yellow teeth.
- Medications: Some antibiotics, antipsychotics, and antihistamines have tooth discoloration as a side effect. If you take these types of medications, it could be a contributing factor to discoloration.
- Tooth wear and injury: If you have dental erosion, chipped teeth, or cracks in your enamel, your teeth may seem to have turned grey or brown. The cause of this discoloration is the dentin beneath the outer tooth enamel. Dentin is a dark underlayer that discolors teeth when it shows through the enamel.
Zoom Teeth Whitening in Fleming Island, FL
Our office uses Philips Zoom teeth whitening for in-office and take-home treatment. We will screen patients to ensure that professional whitening treatment meets their needs. Pregnant or lactating mothers, patients under 18, or patients not in good oral health are not good candidates for treatment.
To begin treatment, we use a shade guide to determine your teeth’s current color and shade goal. We will clean and polish the teeth and then cover the gums to isolate the teeth. This ensures that the gums will not feel sensitive during treatment. Then, we apply the first layer of whitening treatment to the teeth. This varnish contains hydrogen peroxide, an active ingredient that helps brighten the enamel. Finally, we apply a thin sealer layer which allows patients to go about their everyday life without worrying about damaging their treatment.
Take-home Zoom whitening treatment is a convenient way for patients to whiten their teeth at home or touch up their smile. We will provide a take-home kit to patients after their treatment. The kit contains a syringe of whitening gel and a custom whitening tray. We will let patients know how long to wear their trays for the best results.
Brighten Your Smile Today
Do you have tough tooth stains? Schedule a dental appointment with Dr. Verville online or call 904-284-9911. Please let our team know if you have questions about your whitening options, they will be glad to help.