Our dentist at Dr. John D. Verville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry will individualize your treatment of gum disease in Fleming Island, Florida. This treatment plan is not only personalized based on the causes of your periodontal disease, but on the type you have. Some common types of gum disease include:
- Gingivitis: This is the mildest form of gum disease and can often be easily reversed. It is associated with red, swollen gums that bleed easily when you brush and floss your teeth. Gingivitis is treated with home care and a professional cleaning from Dr. John Verville. Our dentist may also recommend antibiotics and a medicated mouthwash.
- Chronic Periodontal Disease: This is the most common form of gum disease. Inflammation extends below the gum line and can result in the destruction of gum and bone tissues, causing the gums to recede. Our dentist will perform scaling and root planing procedures, as well as antimicrobial treatments, to stop this disease. He may also recommend surgical treatment from a periodontist (a dentist who specializes in periodontal treatments).
- Aggressive Periodontal Disease: The same characteristics of chronic periodontal disease appear here, but with very rapid tissue destruction. Our dentist is more likely to recommend surgical intervention with this severe form of gum disease.
- Periodontal Disease Relating to Systemic Conditions: Medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and respiratory disease are often linked with periodontal disease and can worsen it. Your dentist may recommend seeing a physician about controlling these conditions in order to help heal your gums.
- Necrotizing Periodontal Disease: This rare type of gum disease is often found in those with HIV, immunosuppression, and malnutrition. It usually affects the periodontal ligaments and jawbone. Your dentist may consult a physician before providing treatments like scaling, root planing, antibiotics, medicated mouthwash, and fungicidal medications.
To learn more about the different types of periodontal disease and how we can treat your condition, we welcome you to contact us today.