Our dentist and team at Dr. John D. Verville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry provide periodontal disease treatment in Fleming Island, Florida, to heal your gums and make your smile healthy again. It is important that this inflammatory condition is treated as soon as possible in order to prevent it from becoming too serious. Dr. John Verville is trained to diagnose gum disease, but some symptoms you can look for include:
- Unexplained Bleeding: If your gums bleed easily when you brush and floss your teeth, you may have periodontal disease, which makes the gum tissues more vulnerable.
- Pain, Redness, and Swelling: If these occur for no apparent reason, they could be a sign of inflammation from periodontal disease.
- Longer-Looking Teeth: In actuality, the teeth are not getting longer. Rather, the gums are receding and pulling away from the teeth.
- Bad Breath (Halitosis): There are many reasons for bad breath, including bacteria and leftover food debris. Deep gum pockets from periodontal disease can trap food and bacteria, creating a bad smell.
- Loose Teeth/Change in Bite: As gum tissue pulls away from the teeth, they will feel loose and shift. This problem increases in severity if bone tissue is destroyed as well.
- Pus: Pus is a sign that the body is fighting an infection, so if you see it oozing between your teeth, then you may have gum disease.
If you believe you may have periodontal disease, we encourage you to contact our office and schedule an appointment with our skilled team.