Gum disease can destroy gum and bone tissue, so visit Dr. John Verville to stop this disease with antibiotic treatment in Fleming Island, Florida. Our dentist uses antibiotics to fight the bacterial infection of periodontal disease and help heal your gums. We encourage you to call our team at Dr. John D. Verville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry to learn more about how antibiotic treatment can help you fight gum disease.
At our dental practice, we offer several oral antibiotics to treat your gums so you can have a healthy smile. Some of our antibiotics include:
- Tetracycline Antibiotics: These are a primary medication used for periodontal treatment because they not only have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, but they also block the collagenase protein that destroys connective tissues.
- Macrolide Antibiotics: These drugs can reduce the inflammation and bacterial growth associated with gum disease.
- Metronidazole: This drug is often used with amoxicillin or tetracycline to combat chronic periodontitis.
Our dentist may also recommend topical gels and strips that can be applied directly to the gum surface to help them heal from periodontal disease. Some of the topical medications that we may recommend include:
- Atridox®: This medication solidifies over the gum surface and releases medication over several days.
- PerioChip®: This chip is placed in a gum pocket to reduce its size as it slowly releases the antibacterial antiseptic Chlorhexidine.
- Actisite®: This thin, floss-like strip contains tetracycline hydrochloride and is placed between the tooth and gum to reduce pocket depth and kill the bacteria there.
- Elyzol®: This can come in a gel or strip, and it destroys bacteria as well as parasites.
- Arestin®: These mini-capsules are delivered into the gums after a scaling and root planing procedure.
To learn more, we invite you to contact us today.